- 1.5-2 pounds ground turkey (or beef)
- 1/2 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons basil (fresh if possible, substitute for pesto if you only have that)
- salt + pepper
- optional: 1/2 onion, minced
- 1 jar no-sugar pasta sauce
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup water
- optional: 2 teaspoons pesto or additional basil
- Stir ground turkey, ricotta cheese, parsley, egg, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper, garlic until almost combined; stir in bread crumbs and continue to mix until thoroughly blended.
- Roll about 2 tablespoons of mixture into a 1-inch ball for each meatball, or just scoop with a spoon
- Pour 2 tablespoons olive oil in a dutch oven (skillet if that’s all you have) Place skillet over medium heat and brown meatballs on all sides in hot oil, about 5 minutes.
- Pour marinara sauce and water over meatballs in skillet. Stir to combine and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until meatballs are cooked through and no longer pink in the center, about 30 minutes.
Pictured made with beef below: